|Ðð©'§ Internet Marketing Information Library|
Growing Your Business On-line: A Fresh Perspective
Rather than thinking about the web as technology, let's consider the web as a purely connective device - perhaps the most powerful connective tool that mankind has created to date.
The web can literally - physically - connect companies, people, ideas, and processes instantly. It can bring people and companies that might be miles apart together to appear as if they are united, and in one place. Here lies tremendous opportunity for you to connect with your customers and prospects, and also to use the web as a mechanism for implementing the business partnerships (or alliances) that you've made or plan to make. Creating "E-Alliances"
Similar to traditional alliances (that have not used the web in the past), on-line alliances (or "E-Alliances") may be formed for a number of specific purposes:
1) to generate awareness and develop targeted leads (internet traffic);
2) to expand your reach faster than you could alone;
3) to take advantage of the clout or customer base of another company (or another website); and
4) to distribute your products and services through another company (or website) to increase your sales and/or reduce your costs.
In any case, but especially on the internet, one of the main aims of a strategic alliance is to add value to your company, by having the unique partnerships you create become a significant barrier to entering your market. As we all know, it truly is the business relationships that we create and cultivate that are hardest for competitors to reproduce. Alliances that are well thought-out and implemented effectively, by their very nature, can often profoundly differentiate your products and services, and thus your company.
Leveraging the Web's Connective Power
When a business looks at maximizing its internet presence, there are a number of applications that can provide immediate value:
1. Search Engine Optimization - For most companies, search engines account for approximately 85% of the people that visit their sites, especially those with business sites. Therefore, we must begin to think of search engines as important business partners. Registering your keywords is an important first step; however regular, ongoing submissions to top search engines is absolutely essential. It does no good to launch a great site and not be committed to securing and maintaining your web site ranking.
Search engines send out "robots" periodically to update your website information in their database. These robots look for changes since you registered, or since they last searched your site. Make sure your site has keywords embedded in the code for every page. In addition, actively changing your site's content (with great attention to using strategic, relevant, focused keywords on every page) helps to ensure that your site remains fresh and accessible.
Search engines truly are the best way to make sure your site is seen by the highest number of unique visitors in your field. Being included on the first page of the most popular search engines within the top 2 to 3 (keyword) areas that you select should be your initial, 3 to 6 month objective. It takes skill and persistence, and a lot of looking at your company from your prospects' and customers' vantage points.
I can't stress enough that you must know what you want to accomplish online before creating your website. As such, the keywords your want to "own" should be identified and built into your site's architecture, web copy, and overall internet marketing/sales strategy from the beginning - not just added in when you are ready to submit your already-completed site to the search engines. Your site needs to be search engine-friendly, not just "techie" or "beautiful."
Also be aware that when you are aiming to reach a very narrow target market via the internet, other niche directories and sites often become just as important as search engines in meeting your marketing/sales objectives.
2. On-line Links and Partners - It's one thing for the general user to be able to reach you via a search engine. But, it's much better if your desired prospects choose to visit your site outright. Be assured, there are incredible opportunities on-line to create targeted traffic - direct to your site. These include:
- Link and Affiliate Programs - Strategically connect your site to non-competing sites that have a similar target audience. This can take the form of a "link program" (where you arrange for and/or swap links) or an "affiliate program" (where one party pays the other for click-throughs and/or sales from their page.)
- On-line Content Providers - Also think of internet content providers, internet media websites, and internet business directories as your partners. Here, for example, you can arrange to be featured as the "showcase product" on a popular site, or to be listed in a "5 Most Innovative Products" feature on-line. The websites of publications and trade associations in your industry are a good place to start. (Public Relations professionals also have many opportunities to secure more coverage if they target on-line features, in addition to traditional features.)
- Preferred-Provider Relationships - Actual co-marketing on-line is the next logical step. For example, many organizations invest in sending a professional, but affordable direct mail piece out that that directs prospects to a customized offer on their site. Along the same lines, your company might negotiate to become the "preferred-provider" to a company's clientele - recommended by the other company and connected via your websites.
- On-line Distribution - Finally, through business-to-business e-commerce applications on the web, many companies are tying their marketing, sales, order entry, accounting, stock and fulfillment systems together to sell more of each company's product, at a lower cost.
3. Pro-Active E-Marketing - Everything we've been discussing thus far is an action you take to have others visit your site. You can also take the initiative to use the web to creatively reach out to others. Offering some type of benefit on-line or adding a simple questionnaire to your site is the first step in gathering the data you need to converse with prospects. They will tell you what they need. Ask them. Have them choose to receive information from you. Only send them what is valuable - by email, or whatever way they prefer.
4. Your Customers - Of course, your customers are your ultimate partners. There are many ways to serve them better on-line. These include: offering a frequently-asked questions (FAQ) section on your site and easily-accessible e-mail contacts; allowing customers to make account changes on-line; soliciting their feedback on-line; providing your newsletter and information about your new products and services to them on-line; and when appropriate, up-selling (or cross-selling) them on-line.
Don't forget about the opportunity to feature your customers on your site via testimonials, pictures, and case studies that "tell the story" of how your customers benefit from your products and services. It's good for them, and good for you.
The Two Toughest On-line Challenges
I've just described many ways for you to take "your next step on the web." But regardless, in closing, remember what I consider to be the two most important keys to internet success:
One?As we've mentioned, the web is a connective device. It does not stand alone. To gain the most benefit from the web, you must focus on integrating your internet activities with your other business processes, especially in the sales and marketing area.
Two?Just as with any business endeavor, it is the unique and creative ways that a business uses the tools available that determines its success. I challenge you to stretch your imagination. Try some new things. Refuse to view the internet primarily as a scientific, technology-driven tool, but instead strive to use the web in highly creative ways that set your company apart. Innovation and timing count for everything on the web.
Susan K. Thompson is owner of the consulting firm, Emerald Coast Entrepreneur, http://www.emeraldcoastentrepreneur.com specializing in business start up and expansion. With a rich background in academic, corporate, and entrepreneurial achievement, she cuts through the theories and finds solutions that work.
Permission is hereby given to reproduce this article online without any further arrangement. The only proviso is that it be published in it's entirety, which includes this footer.
©2005 Emerald Coast Entrepreneur - Susan K. Thompson
Local Search Makes Your Business a Big Fish in Your Local Community
The Internet Contains Billions of Website Pages - All Clamoring for Attention
To Survey Or Not To Survey
I have learned over the years that when it comes to online marketing as I know it, it's not about what I want in my business. It's really about what people who visit my website want. For awhile I didn't understand that philosophy. How do I find out what people want?
How Your Hobbies Can Help You With Your Business
Everyone has a hobby or interest that they have a particular passion for and, hence, are probably quite knowledgeable in this area.
Dramatically Boost Your Exposure With A Press Release
Do you have a website but seem puzzled to how you can drive in traffic? Or are you a brick and mortar business owner looking to bring in new customers? Either way, a press release may be just the answer you need to solve this dilemma.
5 Ways Al-Quaeda is Using Internet Marketing
Internet Marketing is not dead. But it may have caused the death of a few people.
Niche Marketing and Finding Your Way to Profits
If you haven't heard the word 'niche' being batted around by Internet Marketers then you haven't been listening. Finding a niche has become the antidote to competing in overly saturated online markets.
How To Make Money Online With Your Website
So you have a website that has been a white elephant up to now, zero traffic and no sales and you are wondering how everyone else seems to be able to make money excepting you?
The Relation Between Internet Marketing Education and Profits
Many people join internet business opportunities online blindly. By this I mean they join everything that promises them fast bucks and then one to two years later are dejected and unhappy at their dismal returns online with regards to their capital outlay in terms of time and money. Thus the most important thing you need to do today is to get a proper education in internet marketing. The co-relation is clear the internet is all about information and by learning how to package information online you will make more profits from your internet business no matter what you are promoting.
Seven Ways to Generate Income From Your Website
If you own your own website, there are a variety of things you can do to generate extra income for yourself. To enjoy the most success for your efforts, you must take into consideration your existing website content, as well as your particular target audience. You will also want to know the approximate number of visitors you regularly receive to your website.
Mortgage Marketing: What To Expect From Your New Website
The day has come for your new website to go 'Live'. After tweaking this and changing that you are finally ready for the herds of potential clients to bombard your website with promising loan applications. While you sit by your email program for a few hours waiting for that first application to come through, you realize that there is more work to be done.
How You Can Make Your Ad Command Attention
There are lots of ads for lots of product out there , so it is very easy for your ad to get lost in the shuffle. To avoid this, you must do all that you can do to make sure that your ad gets noticed. Here are some things that you can do to ensure that your ad commands attention.
To All Internet Marketers - How To Get My Business
More and more people are realizing that the Internet offers great potential to set up a healthy business for pennies on the dollar. This is good news for internet marketers - but it also means that they need to lift their game.
Online Marketing Secrets & Marketing Strategy For An Succesful Web Site
starts when a web site is being planned... And is not what many think: just banner advertisement and search engine optimization, Adwords at Google or Pay per click at MSN
3 Simple Ways to Harness the Concept of the Free Offer for Internet Marketing
One of the reason why the concept of free stuff online works really well has a lot to do with the nature of the internet where people go online to find free information and share music online. Many good internet marketers have learnt that offering free things to their website visitors can help make them more money online and this article highlights three simple strategies that successful internet marketers have used.
How To Increase Your Web Profits by Cutting the Hype
'Hype' is now an often used slang word which is short for 'Hyperbole', pronounced 'Hy ? per ? bul ? ee', with the accent on the 'per' (not 'hyperbole' as in 'super- bowl').
Cut Out the B.S. in Your Internet Marketing
Are you getting disgusted with your results as an internet marketer? Staying up until two in the morning looking for that information that will give you that extra edge over everyone else out there? Slowly changing your goal of working for yourself into a dream again instead of the reality you once knew it to be?
Online Advertising: 10 Flaming Hot Ways To Heat Up Your Sales
If you have a website but not making a lot of sales, I can understand how you feel.
Learn Judo and Beat the Summer Traffic Blues
Did it seem like as the Fourth of July fireworks went up, your traffic went down? Or perhaps you are dreading your visitors taking a vacation and leaving your site home alone this summer? If this is you, then I advise taking some time out to learn a bit of Judo. Judo and the art of website management Judo? What on earth is the connection between seasonal traffic problems and Judo? Well let me explain a little about Judo and it might start to make more sense. Judo is an interesting form of combat, because Judo techniques don't rely on outright strength or size. Instead, the participants use suppleness and flexibility of response (ju means "flexible" in Japanese) to turn their opponent's apparent advantages against them. In Judo, you don't actively resist an opponent's move. Instead, a Judo player uses the momentum generated by his opponent's attack to bring him down. Are you beginning to see the connection? If your visitor numbers or conversions nosedive at certain times of the year, don't fight it ? use it to your advantage. This is how you can manage your online business Judo-style. But how does this work in practice? Well, when fewer visitors and customers mean you have more time available, you can? 1. Overhaul your site Have you been too busy dealing with orders and enquiries to give your site that much-needed makeover? Take advantage of the extra time to implement all those great content, navigation and conversion-improving ideas you are too busy to even think about during the rest of the year. 2. Add to your product line-up This is a great opportunity to add both new tangible products, and extra downloadable ones as well. If you have nothing else to do, a few relatively undisturbed days will give you more than enough time to put together a new ebook on your area of expertise. 3. Build links and credibility Articles (like this one) are a great way to generate both links and credibility. Any extra time a traffic lull gives you can be used very effectively in writing and posting informative articles. As they are picked up and start appearing across the Internet, your both your inbound links and credibility shoot up. 4. Create new partnerships Your busy schedule may not allow you much time to do your own browsing, so take advantage of this slow traffic days to get out and look around a bit yourself. Are there any potential partners out there who you could work with to your mutual benefit? A new joint venture can potentially be worth hundreds of additional customers, so this time of browsing and exploring new possibilities has a huge potential payback. 5. Save your advertising bucks You're keeping track of your conversions as well as your visitor stats, right? Well, if you notice a drop-off around weekends, holidays or other vacation times then, whatever you do, don't use paid advertising to make up the shortfall. If your search engine-generated free visitors aren't in the mood to buy, visitors coming through paid advertising probably won't either. Instead, save your money and use it at those times your historical data tell you give the best bang for your buck. 6. Have a summer sale and get rid of old stock Kill two birds with one stone: Clear out old inventory while simultaneously encouraging those visitors you do have to spend money with you. Make sure you email all your previous customers about the summer deals too, and you may find you get a stampede of repeat visitors cleaning out your store. 7. Christmas is coming You may not be able to hear those sleigh-bells just quite yet, but in retail terms, Christmas is just round the corner. Have you thought about how you will get the most out of this year's holiday season? Set your strategy now and ensure this year will see bumper sales. 8. Take a break yourself! Come on, even following half of my suggestions is going to keep you very busy - even if you do have fewer visitors than usual. So, the final thing to remember is that you are your site's biggest asset and, since you need a break sometime too, why not take it now? If your visitors are packing up and going to the beach this summer, don't panic: Learn a bit of Judo, and let "The Way of Flexibility" (the literal meaning of "Judo") help you turn your summer blues into a bonanza of new opportunities.
How You Can Tap into the Dramatic Selling Power of Testimonials
Among the variety of techniques available to you as a marketer, there is one that is virtually guaranteed to increase your business...testimonials !
Internet Marketing In A Room FULL Of Naked Men!
NO, that's not one of my secret dreams :-) It's an observation that you need to make. Years ago, I read Harvey MacKay's fantastic best-seller, Beware The Naked Man Who Offers You His Shirt. I really enjoyed the book and even sent Harvey a note. He sent me an autographed copy of his book "Swim With The Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive." It's one of my most prized possessions - but back to the naked man...
|Home | Site Map|
|Copyright © 2005-2007 - Ðð©'§ pcMedix Computer Group Help Sites. All Rights Reserved.|